Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bah hummbugg!!!

So it is now a week in to February and it feels like time is flying by in slow motion!!!! Is that possible???
As many of you know I love to read and probably could do more in my life if I would just put the book down... but I love cuddling up with a blanket and turning each page and getting involved with each character and being able to enjoy that quiet peaceful time away from the real world!!!!! NOT!!!!!! The last few books I have read I have been enjoying greatly and can't wait to turn the page to find out what happens and WHAMO the author throws in a nice little #@$#%@# word and ruins the whole thing!!!!! Why!!!!! Its not like I haven't already invested myself in a great book nearly 200 pages into it, than I am thrown into a brick wall!!! I have always wondered why don't books have ratings like movies.... It sure would make things a lot easier for choosing books!!!

I have already had to have my 9 year old return a couple books to the school library that were not appropriate for her... She is reading at a 5-6th grade reading level and we have already come across rape, sex and swearing!!! How quick do our kids need to grow up?? I would love to let my 9 year old be a kid and not worry about make-up, what boys think of her and who the cool kids are and does she fit in!! Boy do i wish that I lived in Pleasantville and everything was always perfect and there was no bad!! I know I and dreaming... But it is sure nice to dream!!!

I am grateful that I have good friends and a great family to help with all those bad times and I am grateful for each of you and your examples!! THANK YOU!!!!


2 comments:

Jenn & Kiddos said...

I so agree! Why can't we let kids be kids! It is such a short journey anyhow! We spend our childhood wishing we could be grown-up, and the rest of our lives wishing we could be kids again. Strange world.

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

I know what you mean about the books. I love to read and I read fast but there are so many foul words and actions. But I've learned to skip pages and just be into the story and not worry about the junk. It's so present everywhere. I'm sure your 9 yr old has heard and seen worse in school than she reads in the books. I'm shocked at what I hear walking thru stores. These "little" kids and their mouths!!! A little soap would go a long way!!!! I guess you have to keep reaading the scriptures and the church books......